Sunday, September 05, 2010

In lieu of the blog I planned to write about The Remains of the Day and my three-day stint as a juror, I decided to post about something even more boring: goals.

I'm not sure if this inspiration is a result of the start of the school year, a time when beginning new and sharpening your pencils for success seems contagious, or if I just need to have something in print to make sure I follow through with my plans. (I think it's a little of column A, a little of column B.) I don't have any outrageous aspirations, but there are a few things I would like to accomplish in the next year:

1. Get an "A" in all of my certification classes. I don't think this will be challenging, but I'm only taking 200 level classes right now. For me, the issue isn't the material, but rather having the time to read, study, and find the energy after work to do anything but watch tv. I'm enthused now that I'm finally working on the education component of my teaching certification, so hopefully this excitement will translate into good grades. Also, if you know me at all, you know that I enjoy bragging rights, and being on the Dean's List would be pretty amazing.

2. Learn to sew. I'm not looking to turn into Betsy Ross, but I would like to be able to hem pants, take in a dress, sew on a button, etc. Being freakishly frugal, I hate taking things to tailors, and it would be nice to be able to buy something and know that I can take it up an inch or two, or make a thrift store find fit me.

3. Make my room into a Kelly-friendly, unique space. I've started this process, now that I have a desk in my room, but eventually I'd like to paint the walls, hang all of my records, and get a twin bed into my room/our guest bedroom. I'm sick of staring at the Anthropologie website and coveting their bright quilts and vintage-inspired drapes. I'm determined to make my room the adorable place I know it has the potential to be!

4. Write more. This is a goal that comes up annually, but I'm really going to try. I need to be less focused on a finished product and put more emphasis on writing something, anything, when I want to.

5. Keep growing out my hair. Did you notice that I saved the easiest goal for last? I feel like I'm six months away from the Bridget Bardot bed-head hair I've always wanted, and no amount of pictures of Michelle Williams' cute pixie cut is going to change that!

Overall, these aren't huge goals, but maybe that's because I'm saving those for later. Buying a house, starting a teaching career, and moving still seem far away, regardless of how much I prepare for them. Let's see how successful I am with these baby steps. :)

1 comment:

Brandon said...

1) As always, my suggestion for a location to move is St. Joe and/or Kansas City. Just saying.

2) I like to list my goals as well. I have the same goal for my apartment that you have for your room. I'm bound and determined to make it ADORABLE. And USEFUL. YEAH.

3) I was going to call you earlier but I forgot, and I guess I could call you now but I have a fantasy football draft in ten minutes. My priorities are super screwed up. I'll call tomorrow!