Tuesday, August 03, 2010

This post is more than a little overdue, but I have excuses. During July, I rushed Bollo to an emergency animal clinic, finished my first certification class, dealt with numerous family visits, and discovered that summers are unfortunately just as busy as the rest of the school year. Needless to say, I'm glad that it's August.

Anyway, because of the aforementioned craziness in my life last month, I did little to no reading or writing. Actually, the most creative thing I've done recently is rearrange my office, which, although productive, is kind of depressing. I did read Sloane Crosley's second collection of essays, How Did You Get This Number, which was as funny and wonderful as her first book, but it also had the same eerie flavor of familiarity. She writes about spending time in Paris (I was just there in March), the death of family pets (this was particularly poignant when I thought I had almost killed Bollo), and the discovery that a perfect relationship was, well, not perfect at all. The title comes from this last essay, which chronicles the start and end of her relationship with a great guy...who already had a girlfriend. I'm sure that most women of a certain age, who fall prey to charming yet aloof men, have experienced this (as I did in college), but the fact that Sloane Crosley, a cute, smart, and hilarious woman is a victim of such douchebaggery made me feel pretty good about my spotty dating history.

Although I sometimes suspect that Crosley is putting up a front of humility or normalcy, How Did You Get This Number was genuinely funny. Plus, she can really turn a phrase. I was impressed with her writing before, but her descriptions of Paris, love, and even apartment-hunting were sharp and unique.

Despite my recent penchant for creative non-fiction, this week I'm reading The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro. I plan to write a proper review, since I finished Never Let Me Go (also by Ishiguro), loved it, and promptly forgot to gush about it on my blog. Until I nail down a schedule for posting, I'm sure these entries will continue to be sporadic, but I'm trying. August brings the start of school, two more classes for me, and hopefully another trip to the lake, so I'm not making any promises, but I can guarantee more excuses.

No comments: